Friday, September 27, 2013

Rush, the Movie not the republican




I have always been a car race fan of any type.  As movies go they are usually cheesy.  In 1966 I eagerly  awaited for "Grand Prix" starring James Garner.  It was in wide screen color and the photography and sound and music were GREAT.  The story was limp. It was was about the hero driver versus the evil driver. Good guy -bad guy.

"Rush" on the other hand is a TRUE STORY that is told by Ron Howard.  This movie is as authentic as can be made and not be a documentary.  I read up on the movie and he worked very hard to be accurate. This story is about Formula 1 racing and two drivers that rose through the ranks to be champions and enemies. But unlike "Grand Prix" it is hard to tell who is good and who is bad,  They are polar opposites. Part of the time I liked neither and part of the time I was a fan. They were hard to live with or work with.  One was a playboy party animal while the other was straight lace and extremely focused. James Hunt vs Niki Lauda.

Ron Howard weaves a great story about two driven men and their demons, disappointments and accomplishments.  It is a great true story but not a tame story.  It is "R" for all the reasons. It is raw, full of action and and an horrific wreck/hospital scene.

I liked it though. It will be in the awards.

I give it **** stars  2013 movie 41.


No comments: