Thursday, September 19, 2013

I have a new elder!


A lot of the media are talking about Pope Francis and his interview this week where he said: "We cannot insist only on issues related to abortion, gay marriage and the use of contraceptive methods." Francis says, "This is not possible. I have not spoken much about these things, and I was reprimanded for that. But when we speak about these issues, we have to talk about them in a context.  The teaching of the church, for that matter, is clear and I am a son of the church, but it is not necessary to talk about these issues all the time."

As one theologian stated about the Pope: He says it was striking that Francis compared the church to a field hospital, a spiritual place for healing in the face of today's moral and social dilemmas. (USA Today)

I like what I heard and Francis is a leader that is willing to shake things up.  He knows that Christianity is not about telling the lost what we are against. We are about telling the lost about Jesus.

I do find it interesting that many Churches have slowly turned from spending its time pleasing the saved, to directing their efforts toward serving the lost.  Seems like Jesus may have touched on that. Seems like those that modeled him like MLK and Mother Teresa gave great examples.

I keep wondering how many more sunday school classes I need before I become a servant?
How many more books do I need to read by Tozier or C.S. Lewis or Bonhoffer to get the point?

Francis:  "It is useless to ask a seriously injured person if he has high cholesterol and about the level of his blood sugar! You have to heal his wounds. Then we can talk about everything else."

"The church sometimes has locked itself up in small things, in small minded rules. The most important thing is the first proclamation:  Jesus Christ has saved you. And the ministers of the church must be ministers of mercy above all."

That is one good elder.

No comments: