Friday, March 15, 2013

Deep and Wide 1


I am currently reading a book that is aimed at me called "Deep and Wide" by Andy Stanley. It is about becoming a church that unchurched would want to attend.  I attended church with my daughter in Fort Worth last weekend and they were teaching a series called "Extreme Makeover" based on this book and I picked up a copy.


Instead of talking about the book, I will from time to time quote a passage or two.  Maybe it is something you need too.

"I've worked in churches that tried to be fair. Eventually, fairness became an excuse for non engagement.  The quest for consistency became an excuse not to help.  Before long, church leaders were hiding behind, "If we do it for one, we will have to do it for everyone."  To which I can hear Jesus shouting, "No you don't!  I didn't!"  If we are not careful, we end up doing for none because we can't do for everyone. The better approach is to do for one what you wish you could do for everyone, knowing that everyone is not going to be treated the same way.  I've seen churches attempt to be consistent, but I've seen consistency get in the way of ministry.  I've seen people with financial needs turned away, not because there wasn't enough money to help, but because a line item had been depleted. That's a tough one, isn't it."

Andy Stanley

No comments: