Saturday, March 24, 2012

Rampart: the movie




I've seen Woody Harrelson in many things from Cheers to Zombieland , but never like this. "Rampart" is his new movie with a great cast and a hard edge. The title is a police precinct in Los Angeles and Harrelson plays a bad cop with a complex life. He is a 26 year veteran cop and Vietnam veteran as well. The time is 1999 and his patrol is in east L.A. He blackmails a local pharmacy to get prescription drugs, he muscles a hotel to give him free rooms, and he is violent with any one he encounters. He is living with both ex-wives (who are sisters) and his daughters aren't comfortable with him, His nickname is "Date Rape Doug" because he is thought to have killed a guy that he claims was a rapist. Cast includes Sigourney Weaver as his Captain, Ned Beatty as a retired cop friend, and Anne Heche and Cynthia Nixon as the ex-wives. There are other big name actors as well. IT IS NOT A BUDDY MOVIE,

It is an intense story about a guy that I didn't like, but eventually I felt sorry for him.

This is another universe.

I give it ***1/2 stars. FYI :I was the only one in the theater and I texted!

2012 movie #9

No comments: