Friday, March 23, 2012

360 degree life

In 1979 when my daughter is killed in a school bus accident, a stranger reached out to me because he had been dealt a similar lose six months before. Larry was the School Board President of the district that my daughter, Heather attended. He did not come to me as an official but as a hurting dad, who knew that I would need his time and his words. We would meet and talk over coffee and Diet Cokes and I realized that the time helped him express his feelings, too.

Two weeks ago another father lost his daughter in a auto accident. I reached out to him like I been been taught years ago. This dad was the School Board President of the district that I was currently doing a project. I wrote him a letter but did not know how he would take my comments. Last night he called me and we had a long talk. I hope we can do it again.

I don't know about him but it did me a lot of good.

No comments: