Sunday, August 22, 2010

Women Giving Directions!


One of my new favorite things is the ice kiosk near us. For five quarters it gives you a bag and a nice women's voice walks you through the steps to get 10 pounds of ice. I am a pleased customer.
Today, when I stopped, the lady's recorded voice reminded me of my Friday meeting.

I was present for the State Fire Marshall inspection of the new High School gym that we have just completed. As they tested the alarm system, the strobe lights went off for the hearing impaired. The alarm sounded for the general population. Then a women's recorded voice came on to tell everyone: "A fire has been detected in this building. Please walk to the exits and leave the building." (Something like that only very loud.) After they tested it a couple of times, the Fire Marshall turned to me and said, "You know that we are about to change the message to a man's voice, don't you?" "Why?" I asked. He smiled and said, "Our studies have shown that men won't leave the building if a woman is talking!" He saw my look and added, "Men won't leave a burning building if a women tells them to!"

And you thought we were advancing our species!

No comments: