Friday, August 13, 2010

On Blogging
















This week the number of people that have been reading my blog has increased 47%! While I don't expect that number to stay, I wanted to share some thoughts with my new readers. I write this blog because, like you, I have opinions. Our society has changed to the point that we our avenues to share are limited. I know there is much "social media" like FACEBOOK, but seriously! I could have just journaled and kept it to myself, but here is how it happened. People know that among my outlets, hobbies, pastimes, I read a lot, see a lot of movies, listen to a lot of music, and go to a lot of concerts. Therefore I am asked a lot, "Mike, have you seen that new movie that is out? What did you think?" I am not a movie critic. I am a fan of movies. Some times they ask, "What are you reading?" Still other times friends say, "What do you think of that new Country Singer (chances are I have seen him live, already)?












In the late 1980's when I was a Director in a large Architectural firm in Tulsa, I was asked to write a monthly company newsletter. Among those articles was a Movie story and a story of something happening in our area. It was very fulfilling.












Later in the 90's I wrote a weekly article in my hometown paper called, "Haskell Stories". The stories were about growing up in the 50's and 60's in a small town. I wrote about things that happened in my church, my school and my town. They were very well received and many people contacted me about the memories. I even wrote a story about the town drunk of my child hood and my encounters with him. While he was not called by name, his daughter (I didn't know he had a family!) contacted me and said that the story was good and correct.












Three years ago My Daughter-in-Law started writing a "Blog". As I read hers I thought, "This is COOL!" and the more I thought I said, "I going to do one."












I don't hold myself up as a good writer, as an expert on anything, nor do I believe that the world is better for my thoughts. I am frankly still surprised that anyone read this stuff. I still feel good about it.












I knew though that possibly anything I write would have people who happened on it to say, "He's an idiot." When I write about politics, I know that if you are from Oklahoma, there is a 80% chance you will disagree. I don't care because these are MY thoughts. You are welcome to yours and you can do your on blog. When I mention OU football, 85% will disagree, but I have had that all my life and expect it to continue.












The saying goes, "Don't talk about politics, sex or religion." Okay, guilty. But like it or not these are part of life and all are about relationships. I suspect that there are some that will take issue with anything that I write, but will read anyway. I don't like Rush Limbaugh and because of that I don't listen to him. I have done enough in my life that have caused some people to not like me. I wonder why they read my stuff but it isn't my business.












If I write something that offends you personally, I have a comment box on each post that will send me an email for my consideration. I may respond. I may erase the offense. I may do nothing. OR you may quit reading or you may tell everyone you influence that Mike is a horrible person, just like you did in grade school.












Recently, I found out the hard way that I am wrong to recount stories about people in my Christian circle without their permission even if the story is accurate. I have learned a lesson in blogging. The other day I wrote a blog that concerned several people of a certain type that I have met along my path. It was something that I was dwelling on at the time. But as a guy told me last week, "Well, I won't apologize because I did nothing wrong, but I agree that the timing could have been better." I will try to have better timing.












I do consider my self a flawed person. I try. I fail. I try again.






No comments: