Thursday, July 2, 2015

Finding Paul Thorn


Music has been important to me since I was a kid.  There was a time when I was about 8 that I listened to the radio in my parent's room at night and made list of the KAKC top forty songs. I was first an Elvis fan and then Buddy Holly and then and then...  I couldn't sing but when I got to the tenth grade I wanted to learn how to play the Bass Guitar. I couldn't get any friends to join me taking lessons in Tulsa so I gave up such ideas for Sports.

Advance a few years and several hundred albums, cassettes, CDs and downloads later I am still hooked on music. While I like several kinds of music, the artists who don't take themselves too serious are who I lean towards. I like Brad Paisley, Jimmy Buffet, Todd Snider, Billy Currington, Jerrod Neiman types of singer songwriters. 

One day I was driving in my car listening to the Bob Edwards show on XM when he interviewed a song writer from Mississippi named Paul Thorn. The next hour (I have it on my iPod) was a joy. Paul is a tremendous story-teller with a great wit, but most of all a genuine person. I liked his music, his background, his view of life and the fun he could bring to a simple interview.  I quickly ordered all his CDs and by now have them all.  I started telling people about him even playing songs for them on my phone.  Finally he came to Fort Smith and about four couples of us went to the show. Quickly the circle of fans increased.

One day on a lark, I emailed the Cain's Ballroom and asked if they would consider booking Paul Thorn telling them to check YOUTUBE if they didn't recognize the name.  Three days later they booked him for three months later.  At that show I found that he had more followers and as our group spread I have seen him at Cain's twice, AllSoul's Unitarian Church, Tulsa May Fest and Just this week IN MY TOWN.  Slowly people listened to him around here and the Music Hall of Fame got him for the summer concert series.

I hear that he will be back next summer for our music festival.

The highlight of these happenings is that my wife and I got to host him and his band during their recent stop. I was great fun and I found his band to be as down to earth as Paul.

This was a music highlight of my life!

It still is true that if you like something and show enough people and they also like it, BIG THINGS CAN HAPPEN. ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS ASK!

Who is Paul Thorn?  Go to YOUTUBE and see.

No comments: