Sunday, July 19, 2015

Talks with my Mother 1

I have been having some great talks with my Mother. She is 94 and wants to live to 100 years old.  She probably will make it and I could only wish for her health at that age.  She has been very misunderstood for a long time. Some of the family thinks that she is too judgmental and too much of saying anything on her mind. But consider this:

Her process for seeing the world has been locked in, say, 1958!  Religion in her world is 1958, Social Changes are based on 1958, etc.

She doesn't have good reference points to discuss Gay marriage or even interracial marriage.  Liberal to her means changing from the norms of her early adulthood when life was simple.

A discussion of spending money either for food, clothes or gifts, starts with remembering the Depression. Doing without WAS life. She lived in a time that you "Made do" and did not dream about things out of her sphere.

She has an intellectual side where she understands today's changes, but she wants to live simple.  She wants the Church to remain the same always and in every way. She wants women to stay out of politics.  She wants the Ozzie and Harriet days that never existed.

I used to argue with her but I am of a different time.  She really does love her grandkids that are gay and those that have intermarried and those that have different religions than her, but she still does not understand their need for changing.

The more that I am with my Mother the more I need t give her a pass. 

She is my Mother.  I wouldn't want to change that!

No comments: