Sunday, July 26, 2015

Paper Towns



This movie made me think of my high school years.  I was not a social "Chance-taking" guy. I was cautious if not a little timid. I was part of the "in-crowd type kids" that were seen as leaders, but I was always reluctant to stray from my comfort zone and in to the unknown. I didn't hurt me but it made me different.  But then I always saw the kids that pushed to envelope.  They tried everything! They bothered me because they always seemed to get away with things.  I would have been caught!

"Paper Towns" is about that. Two kids that grew up in Orlando across the street from each other (Boy and Girl). When they rode bikes, only he wore a helmet. She would climb up to his second floor window to talk at night and to suggest going out to play after night!  You know the type.

As the movie develops they grow apart during High School, their Senior year, He is a band nerd who is headed for Medical School and she is a wild child traveling with the fat crowd.  Until one night when she comes again to enlist his help.

This movie is about the people also that do not see their future because they aren't comfortable with their present.  Paper Towns is the term for a fake town that appears on maps as a copyright. One map maker will show a "Paper Town name" along a road and know that if any other map maker shows it, they are copying.   Well acted and well told!

Looking for a place that doesn't exist.

This is not a deep movie for there is much humor and high school things that we all remember (no matter the generation).  It is PG13 so it is more like Ferris or 16 Candles and less the current R-rated fare.  I Liked it.  It is being compared to "Fault in Our Stars" which was also written by John Green.

I give it ****stars  2015 Movie 35

No comments: