Thursday, April 11, 2013

Baby Boomer Boy's first crush


Sad to hear that Annette Funicello died.  As a 50's kid Mickey Mouse Club was the first afternoon TV show made just for my age group. There were several kid actors on the show like Cubby, Darla, etc.  A broad cross section of white kids that were just like us. Except for Annette.  I had girl friends at school and all in "grade school" only because everyone played that game (not really knowing what it was about- speaking for the boys).  MMC had us though as we watched episodes of "Spin and Marty" and "the Hardy Boys" and skits and songs. But something weird started happening before our eyes.  Annette was growing BOOBS!  But that word hadn't yet been mentioned to us.  I stared at her and before long I was only waiting to see her.  As I aged along with her, I began to look around and to my surprise BOOBS were everywhere.

I soon graduated from Mickey to American Bandstand as I became a teen ager.  Then here she came again.  The Beach Party Movies were launched with her and Frankie Avalon as the stars-  the popular kids. This time I was disappointed.  I wanted to see her in a Bikini but in the first movie, she was the only one wearing a one-piece while every other girl had a two piece. Then when they changed to Bikinis, Annette moved to a granny two-piece.  I was certain she had Church of Christ parents.

But as she faded from the screen, ole worldly 15 year old Mike searched for new BOOBS.

She was still my first crush.

No comments: