Tuesday, October 2, 2012

My Crazy Life: On Preaching 3

I mentioned a while back that I had the chance to preach at my church recently.  Several people said nice things to me afterwords. Now I'm not sure.  One of the men that complimented me about my talk that said among other things: God is our provision. We are in the world but should not be caught up in the World.  Politics was not important to Jesus. We should not worry about the future and who is our president.   

Ok, Back to the guy.  He sent out a mass email this week and copied me.  It was  obviously one of those things that is passed along by like minded people.  It is supposed to be a reprint of a sermon by the "Pastor of this predominantly black church in Virginia". In the sermon he uses Genesis 47: 13 - 27 as his text.  It is about how the children of Israel traded their goods, land, cattle for food with the Pharaoh (actually with Joseph).  He went on to call this nationalization of goods.  he then explained that it was about "redistribution of wealth"!

Then he starts comparing Obama to the Pharaoh and that many of us call Obama "the Messiah"! (I guess its a Virginia thing!)   He then prays:  "We pray for revival, and we pray for deliverance from those who would be our masters. Give us hearts to seek you and protect your people from the atrocities of Pharaoh's (Obama's) government."

Ok, This is crazy on so many levels. 1. The brother who sent it to me just told me by this that my talk that Sunday was worthless to him.  2.  The context of the passage was about Joseph and not Pharaoh!

3. While I think this  writing is a sham,  Christian's who like this little writing would choke on:

"All the believers were together and had everything in common. Selling their possessions and goods, they gave to anyone as he had need." Acts 2:44,45

Something tells me that the LORD was used "REDISTRIBUTION" a few times.

Leave POLITICS out of the BIBLE.

Note: As days go by, I believe my days are numbered.  

In Oklahoma the growing sentiment is that Jesus  was a conservative, Republican leaning leader.   

I think it comes from the idea that Jesus liked to eat with the (Re) publicans and tax collectors!  

No comments: