Thursday, April 19, 2012

That Settles it!




I went down to the Oklahoma Music Hall of Fame today for an event and stumbled onto an interview that was about to begin. Ron Boren came out and said, "I'm about to film an interview with Mike Settle. Do you know him?" I said, "No, but I have been to his concerts." Ron said for me to come with him and he introduced me to him. Then they said that they wanted me to film me telling Mr. Settle about my experience which goes like this:

In 1965 I first real date (when I spent real money) with my future wife was to go to the Tulsa Assembly Center to see a concert of the New Christy Minstrels. This group was a hugely popular folk group (think Hoot-n-nany days) that featured a group of super talented singers including Mike Settle (from Muskogee) and Kenny Rogers.

Later in 1968 while at Oklahoma State we went to see a new group called "The First Edition" that had the current Number 1 song, "I don't know what condition my condition is" . The First Edition had in its group Mike Settle and Kenny Rogers. The drummer was Mickey Jones.

When telling the last part, Mike said, "Was that the tour with Pat Paulsen?"

It was Paulsen was a TV comedian who launched a fake campaign for President during the same year that Robert Kennedy and Nixon were running.

It was an honor to meet him at such a unusual instance.

Yes, he does deserve to be inducted into the OK Music Hall of Fame as performer and songwriter.



No comments: