Sunday, April 22, 2012

Dick Clark and Rock

The announcement of Dick Clark's death was sad for me because my love for music started with him. In the 50's about 1958 "American Bandstand" was an afternoon staple.  I had already discovered Elvis, but he expanded my knowledge of Rock and Roll.  I got to know teenagers from Philadelphia that danced every day on the show and I learned terms like "It's got a good beat and you can dance to it." when rating a record.

One of the first concerts that I attended when the Tulsa Civic Assembly Center opened was the "Dick Clark Caravan of Stars".  It was a collection of one hit wonders like Bobby Freeman singing the "Swim"and singers that soon would be at the top for good like the Supremes.

In College Clark produced "Where the Action Is" that showcased Freddy Cannon and Paul Revere and the Raiders.

Dick Clark continued to control the Rock Industry and Country with his "AWARD" shows including the American Music Awards and the Academy of Country Music Awards.

Dick Clark had his hand in Music and moved us from thought to thought.  

I miss the simple times like American Bandstand but today it would make as much sense as a Model A Ford.

No comments: