Tuesday, November 8, 2011

The Litigators: Counting your chickens


I just finished reading (listening to) John Grisham's new book, "The Litigators". As I started the book, I quickly realized that I had big problems with the characters and the story. Not that the story was implausible but because it was VERY real. It is about attorney's that dream of better days and giant cases that pay giant fees. (That's all I will say about the plot.) This is a good follow up to "King of Torts".

The story takes a while to develop, but suddenly it hooked me. And like most stories I was consumed.

As the story unfolded it reminded me of an architect that I know extremely well. He has had MANY, MANY times in his career that an opportunity has arisen that made me (I mean him) count up the great fees that could be generated from a big project. There have been maybe 20 life changing ideas that have appeared. 2 payed off. That's not a good record.

I remember each one well. I start dreaming of the outcome. I "counted the chickens before they hatched". It's like buying a lottery ticket and expecting to win so much so that you start spending the money before the numbers are drawn. Its human nature to those of us who are turned that way.

Others would never succumb to such. Others are methodical and safe. I was born a dreamer and will continue to count my fictitious chickens.

By the way: Good Book. Great story. I have met most of the characters in this book and this version is similar to my version in life.

In the last two days I have driven 800 miles and one good book.

No comments: