Saturday, November 19, 2011

J Edgar, Steve Jobs and reality






It's been while since I've been to the movies. The movies that I want to see are not in our town so we journeyed to Tulsa to see Clint Eastwood's new movie "J. Edgar" starring Leonardo DiCaprio. I will disclose that my am prejudice toward Clint's work. I was not disappointed.

The story chronicles J. Edgar Hoover's creation of the FBI and his work through 8 presidents. It is not a flattering depiction of his life and from what I know it is spot on. Mr. Hoover was a powerful man who tried to get dirt on every president and public figure for his on self preservation. He took credit for things he didn't do and altered reality to fit his needs. He tried to ruin Martin Luther King, Eleanor Roosevelt and JFK. And that's just part of the story. He was a "Momma's boy" who was conflicted about his sexuality. But that's all historical. Mr. Eastwood does flashbacks form past to present. The only flaw in the movie was the makeup person. As the characters aged they looked like they were wearing "masks"! As you can see by the photos they matched J. Edgar and his "mate" very well with the actors.

I give the movie ***1/2 stars. With better makeup: 4 stars.
2011 movie #51

Now here is where Steve Jobs comes in. I am also reading the Steve Jobs authorized biography. Both Jobs and Hoover altered reality to meet their needs. They also were power hungry, conniving jerks who would do anything to get their way. Both had great ideas and both lived by PR. The book is very intriguing, as was the movie, but I would not want to trust either.

No comments: