Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Unbroken, the Book



When my uncles came home from WW2 and Korea, they did not talk about it. This is common for returning soldiers, sailors and airmen. The Book that I just finished explains why. I just finished Laura Hillenbrand's book, "Unbroken (A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption)". This excellently told story answered many questions that I have carried around since school days. I always wondered why some veterans held such deep deep hatred for the Japanese or their products. Yes, I had seen all the movies and knew my history, but I needed the rest of the story. Here it is.

The Book centers on the life of Louis Zamperini, a guy from California who was destined to be the first track star to run a "four minute mile". He was on the verge in 1941 (it was broke in 1954!).
This story of a troubled youth who became an Olympic runner, a WWII bombardier, a POW and much more. The story is such that after I had been into the book a few days, I had to read the liner notes to assure that this is true and not a novel.

Ms. Hillenbrand also wrote, "SEABISCUIT". She can tell a story as good as anyone.

I would love to discuss this book, but I don't want to be a Spoiler. Louis Zamperini is someone that does not endear himself, then suddenly you are rooting for him, then you are disappointed in him, and then..............

This is a great story about a good guy who laid it on the line.

No comments: