Monday, September 5, 2011

Our Idiot Brother, Our Idiot Society



I thought I had seen all the "good Movies" in my town, but with Labor Day winding down I was ready to take a chance and go see what's left. I had heard an interview with Paul Rudd (the star) and believed it worth the risk (at least until the popcorn was gone). Here is the deal. The movies have been swamped by slacker dudes with beards and sunglasses acting the idiot in R rated over-the-top bawdy, bad taste stories. The risk was: Is this another one? It LOOKS like one,

The answer was a surprising, fun and thought provoking movie. Paul Rudd plays the guy that everyone thinks is an idiot. His parole officer calls him a "Retard"! His three sisters, who are all caught up in their worlds, cringe when he comes to stay with them.

CAUTION: I am about to say some things about the plot. You may want to look away.

Why is he an idiot?

He lives a simple life and in a simple world. He tells the truth. He does not curse. He looks for the good in everything and he gives everyone benefit of the doubt. AND he has a dog named "Willie Nelson".

Everyone else is caught their complex worlds. The movie is "R" because all the "normal" people drop the F-bomb a lot and deal with adult things (some nudity). The brother does not. Great Cast including many people that you have seen on TV and the movies.

It is an adult story, but a story that needs telling. It shows how crazy most people's lives are and how shallow. A good guy is seen as an idiot.

I liked it very much. I give it *** stars.

2011 Movie #43

No comments: