Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Working for the Man, a life lesson

Note: Much of what is going on in my life is being influenced by my current study of the life of King David.

As I have stated, after almost 20 years of being self-employed, I have taken a job with another architectural firm. Sunday I was talking to a friend who is also self-employed about my changes. he asked if I thought I could do it. This is sort of my response:

"Well, I have been making all my own decisions and din't have to ask permission to do anything. Now, I work for someone who wants to be involved in everything. he is a work -a-holic. The company is his creation and his baby. He cares about all decisions and I have to get permission for most things. He wants to be copied on all correspondence. Sort of Micro-management. He even stated that he isn't bothered by mistakes, but he doesn't tolerate things being hidden from him or not telling him the truth."

"Wow!" he said. "Sounds tough!"

I walked away from my friend and then it hit me. I had described the God of David. My God!

God is interested in everything I do. HE wants me to talk to him about everything because HE cares. He micro-manages. HE has even counted the hairs on my head. HE says to check with HIM about everything. HE wants constant correspondence. HE will forgive my mistakes, but doesn't tolerate being ignored. HE wants the truth because HE IS the truth.

David lived under these same rules and made it quite well. It is the least I can do.

Which begs the question: "Had I worked for God instead of myself for 18 years, I would have had a lot better decision making and much better leadership.

If you working for a good read, try I Samuel or II Samuel in the Old Testament.

Working for the MAN, is not so bad.

"The LORD does not look at the things people look at. People look at outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart." !Samuel 16:7




No comments: