Saturday, January 8, 2011

Well Worn Sayings: Bless Your Heart!


I first heard that term when I was a kid. Tennessee Ernie Ford used the term, "Bless your little pea-pickin heart!" all the time. A few years ago the Comedian, Henry Cho did a routine about the statement, "Bless Your Heart" or "Bless her heart" or "Bless his heart!" He says that in the south you can say anything you want to about anyone as long as you end with this statement.

"You know, it's amazing that even though she had that baby seven months after they got married, bless her heart, it weighed 10 pounds!"

"If they put his brain on the head of a pin, it'd roll around like a BB on a six-lane highway, bless his heart!"

We have many ways to give people a back handed statement. Toby Keith uses one term in a recent song: "God love her!" Implying God may love her, but....."

How about: "Well, at least your happy!" or the famous, "Isn't that special?" or when we say something about how people look:

"What a brave combination of colors!"
"Well that's different."
"I've not seen that before. Did you buy it new?"
"For a big guy, He doesn't sweat much. Bless his heart."
"She has a great sense of humor, Bless her heart."

I even read one that applied to my past year:

"We did pretty well this year, considering............"

You know, as society slowly gets more hostile we should think more about how our comments are cutting.

This subject came to me yesterday while I was driving down the road listening to Miranda Lambert's new song, "Only Prettier" on the radio.

BLESS HER HEART!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was telling my coworkers about Tennessee Ernie Ford and his always saying Bless your little pea pickin heart. None of them had ever heard that! Now I am "slightly" older than most of them, but come on! I googled it and found your site. What a find.
Happy to hear I am not the only one who knew that. I am getting ready to retire in the next year or two and am also looking at roads less traveled.
Good Luck in all your ventures.

Anonymous said...

Simρly dеsirе tо sау your articlе is аs аѕtonishіng.
The cleаrnеѕs foг yοur publіsh
іs јust сοol аnd that і cаn supрosе you are knowledgeаble on thіѕ subjeсt.

Well with your permissiοn let mе to take hold of your RSЅ feed to stay uρ to date with impеnding pοst.

Thank you a million and please caггy
on the grаtifуіng woгκ.


My wеb раge; garden center coupons