Thursday, January 13, 2011

The opera came to town


The Oklahoma Music Hall of Fame hosted "Tulsa Opera Live" in our town tonight. There were five performers who took a large crowd through a medley of Opera's Greatest Hits. Selections from Don Giovanni, Rigoletto, Norma and others. They also mixed things up when they "covered" a few Broadway tunes from Paint Your Wagon and Guys & Dolls. I could stop there and say, "A Good Time was had by all!" But here's the deal.

I grew up in a world that thought that opera was High Brow and a lot of people screaming and yodeling (all the fat lady sayings). When a opera singer would come on Ed Sullivan, our family would cringe. That's background.

Tonight, they performed in a hall that I had only heard Folk Singers, Rock Singers, Country Singers and Pop Singers. All of whom were mic'd and using amplified instruments. The performers tonight were NOT mic'd but their voices were so powerful that they could BE amplifiers. Listening to them explain each selection and then performing flawlessly.

This was great stuff. I like to think that I am open minded in my music, but I was still limiting myself. I am expanding again.

PS: Remember Opera started 400 years ago (Before Movies).

Seems all the stories are about affairs, revenge, greed and death. Just what we watch today!

No comments: