Friday, February 19, 2010

Tiger and Pat Boone


The first celebrity that I remember getting into trouble was Pat Boone. Not by the nation, but by the Churches of Christ. Pat Boone, the Mr. Nice Guy of rock who was the clean counterpart to Elvis, was a member of the Church of Christ. He started associating with charismatic churches and even wrote a book about "A New Song" and all hell broke loose. At the beginning he "went forward" and asked for forgiveness. He didn't get it. I have been thinking about that one all these years.

I watched Tiger Wood today and realized after 3 hours of people telling me what I saw. No one wants to forgive Tiger. Sports talk shows were grading his speech as a B- to B+. They said it was "robotic". The speech was written and not from the heart. I heard it all. I am not sure goes through people's minds. Our society loves to drag people through the mud (for a long time.) Its news, baby!

I'm not sure what we the perfect will settle for!

I know what would have put the whole thing behind us. If in his speech he would have admitted to being a Democrat, then all of the righteous would have said, "Well crap, that explains everything. Case closed. I bet he even likes Obama! Keep him in therapy."

No comments: