Friday, February 19, 2010

shutter island! yikes!



Yes, today I saw "Shutter Island". This week I have mentioned the movie to several (including my wife) and the reaction was the same, "I don't know about this movie. I am not looking forward to this one." My response was, "Hey, It's a Scorsese Film. Its DiCaprio. It is written by the guy that wrote "Mystic River". I went by myself.

As I watched the previews the last few months, I thought that this movie was more than what they were showing us. Well, that is an under statement. There are two stories in this movie and it is your job to figure the correct story. Please! Someone needs to explain it to me.

For you that think this is a horror movie, I sort of is in the dream sequences. There are unseemly things in the movie. From the Holocaust to the death of children there are things to keep you awake. This movie is absent of humor.

DiCaprio is a great actor. Ben Kinsley is a great actor. Mark Ruffalo is a great actor. AND Martin Scorsese is a great director. I don't know if this is a great movie or not. I'm thinking.

Take a prison movie, throw in the "Shining" mix in a little World War 2, and a hurricane and there you go.

I give it somewhere between ** and *** stars. I'm thinking.

2010 Movie #8


No comments: