Saturday, July 26, 2008

Fountainhead & Famous Architects

In college my wife and I read "The Fountainhead" by Ayn Rand. It was the only famous novel about architecture and architects that I had found. We had many, many discussions about the central themes of the story and it proved to be a great group of thoughts to debate as I was about to leave school. "Do you sell out your beliefs to get ahead? Does tradition take precedence over new ideas? How far will you go to stay true to yourself? Do you admire people because they are powerful or should they be worthy of honor? It goes on.

I saw the book again the other day at Barnes and Noble in CD format and am visiting it again, 38 years later. I guess I will grade myself and see how I did.

Thursday night I went to a lectureship in Tulsa and heard one of the hottest architects in America, Randy Brown talk of his work and philosophy. I was challenged and charged up so much that half way thru the talk, I was sketching on the back of my business cards. Ideas were bombarding me. I get my most creative ideas in the presence of creative people (Rock concerts, movies, sermons or speeches).

His 3 points:
1. Take Risks.
2. Never stop your Education (whether conferences, trips, etc.)
3. Have Fun and make Money!

Works for me.

No comments: