Sunday, May 18, 2008

Mike's Travels: "Please Come To Boston"

Remember that song!

As I mentioned in my last blast, I really, really liked Boston and Cambridge. I found Boston to be the best landscaped, cleanest, and most inviting metro area that I have ever visited. We saw as much as time would permit and plan to return when time permits. We made it to Bunker Hill, "Old Ironsides", Harvard, and the Boston Children's Museum (fantastic!). We were a few blocks from Paul Revere's Home and the Old North Church when rain arrived. We were not prepared for the weather and was forced to eat Sea Food. Again!

The irony of the trip happened the morning of our flight back home. I was reading a copy of the Financial Times (a Boston newspaper) and discovered an article by one of their writers about a visit to Oklahoma! For the most part it was a positive article about her visit to Tulsa, Bartlesville, Pawhuska, OKC and Norman. It was a great travelogue. The title of the article was "Holly Finn visits Oklahoma to look beyond the cliche's surrounding America's heartland".
Of course a third of the story was about her visit to Victory Christian Church's Sunday worship ( "Then everyone started speaking in tongues. It seems less a church service and, more a Cirque du Soleil.") and her visit to Mardel's Christian Bookstore (" Look at all those supposedly Christian people parked in the handicapped spaces.") So much for looking beyond cliche's!

I guess I could tell everyone that Boston is just full of Beer drinking Irish Catholics who live in the past and that I saw the Palm Reading shop downtown, but why deal in cliche's!

No comments: