Sunday, May 4, 2008

Mike's Music: In The beginning

In the beginning was the Columbia Record Club.

I bought my first record album, my senior year of high school. It was Johnny Cash "I walk the Line" and probably the last country album purchased until the 70's. I then bought the Beatles, etc. In college I was introduced to the Columbia Record club. The premise was that you got 6 free albums for signing up with a 7th if you check the gold box. You then bought six albums in the next 12 months (for more than the retail price. In the 11th month I would sign my self up as a new member (3 free albums!) cancel my current membership ans then get 6 new albums for signing! Of course if you forgot to send in the card each month, you would automatically be sent the "record of the month". I would also receive 1/2 price deals almost every other month. needless to say I went from "old Johnny Cash" to about 16 albums the first year and it never stopped!

By the time I finally gave up record clubs, I had over a hundred albums. Since then I accumulated about 200 albums. In the 70's I made a change to "8 tracks" which lasted about 2 years (literally). I had an 8 track player in our VW Bug! Soon that was replaced with cassette decks. About 250 cassettes later, CDs came along! ouch! I now have about 400 cds. Finally a lasting method for collecting songs. CDs lasted the 90s and into the next century.

When I heard about mp3 and IPOD, I resisted. After all, my attic has my records and cassettes, my cds are in a cabinet. Why this?

At Christmas I received an IPOD classic. I dock it at my desk at home, at work, in the car or truck, and ear pods. Tonight I downloaded the new Steve Winwood album. That makes 174 albums, 1 movie, 30 music videos, 2 tv shows, and 3 pod casts on my IPOD. The status says that I have 37.5 days worth of music! The crazy thing is all that is just 8 gigs! My IPOD holds 80 gigs. I could hold every song that I have ever heard on this thing.

I guess the next jump from the IPOD will be an implant under the skin of a micro chip connected to the brain.

No comments: