Wednesday, January 2, 2019

Teaching Sunday School

Their is nothing about this title that I like.

First: I am not a teacher. I am a story teller and I discuss things based on experience or what good stories tell, but I am not a trained teacher. When I am given a time to teach, I tell those that gather that my function is to arouse thought. They teach themselves.

Second: Sunday School is weird. As I wise elder once to me: "Mike, did you know that Sunday school is the only school where you can't graduate. It is endless."

That said: When asked to have a class, I chose to talk about the future of the church.  WE muse about the future being heaven but we never consider our future while in our present position.  The Old Testament  has many stories pertaining to the future but we normally skip those. Jesus challenges us in the later writings to live for the future and God's dealings with the apostles was ALL about the future. But we tend to think that we were the future since everything is about us.

I hope my stories and the Bible's stories will make sense. I'll keep you posted.

No comments: