Friday, January 22, 2016

I can make you speed.

When I drive the turnpike, I generally set the cruise control on 79 MPH. Yes, it is speeding but just 4 over. By driving with cruise control I can really judge the driving habits of others. Sometimes I am in my Lexus IS and sometimes the Prius.

When I approach someone texting or engrossed with their phones, they will be going about 60.  In the Lexus I smoothly pass them. However, if I am in the Prius they will suddenly toss the phone aside and go to 90 MPH.

People don't mind being passed by a sporty car. BUT They (YOU) WILL NOT BE PASSED BY A PRIUS.  THE WORLD WILL END.

On a typical trip to Tulsa I sometimes pass the same car twice in the Prius.  The first time I pass them,   they will speed up and overtake me and go out of sight.  Then in about 10 minutes with me still on cruise, I will approach them again as they have slowed to about 70 and when they see me passing they will throw caution to the wind and come charging back.  This happens with about 99% of all cars including cars smaller than mine.

Understand: Almost any Hybrid can accelerate faster than "normal" engines because of the instant electric boost. My car can get to 90 MPH very easily.  I just don't want to go that fast.

Evidently the car food chain does not except the Prius.

I get great mileage even at 79 (40-42 Miles per gallon but I am not helping with energy conservation because the cars I "force" to pass me are gobbling gas like race cars!

No comments: