Wednesday, December 16, 2015

In the Heart of the Sea


The movie this time is "In the Heart of the Sea", the new Ron Howard movie.

The reviewers don't like it (Rotten Tomatoes gave it 41%). I read the reviews and it seems that the whaling business is not for them but they did like the special effects.

I however thought the previews told me what to expect. It is about hunting for whales on the high seas in small boats in a time when they were without benefit of radar etc. since they were only a few years beyond thinking the world was flat.

The movie is harrowing with shipwrecks, storms, lost at sea, and a giant whale who doesn't want to be bothered.  This is a story behind the novel "Moby Dick" that was the basis for Melville's writing.




I enjoyed it movie for what it was.  That was one mean whale!

I give it ***stars. 2015 movie 57

No comments: