Monday, May 25, 2015

Tomorrowland- 60 years later



Sixty years ago I set glued to our Black and White RCA TV about 4 feet from the screen to watch the opening of Disneyland in California. The scenes from that special simply blew my mind. To think there was am actual park that had Disneyland (Magic Kingdom), Frontier-land, Adventure-land, Fantasyland and my favorite Tomorrowland.  Tomorrowland was where you could simulate going into space, future cars and other things that would all happen when I got older.  Of course Disneyland was not possible with my family's budget- EVER.

It was a spark that led me to want to change the world. I wanted to design the future.  It probably led to my occupation. I have always been drawn to Tomorrowland. Rocky Jones-Space Ranger, Flash Gordon and later 2001 Space Odyssey and Star Trek and Star Wars.

So It was written that I must see the movie, "Tomorrowland".  I was not disappointed. It captured the spirit of looking to a bright, inventive, positive future unlike "Mad Max", Earthquake and Zombie Movies.   The story is fun and at the same time thought provoking. It ask the viewer the simple questions: Are you part of the solution or have you given u[ and waiting for the great fall of man. Are you hoarding guns to kill those that will attack you during the chaos or Are you thinking about how we can save the planet and each other by doing our part.  In the Movie the creative thinkers are given a coin to show them the future. 

The special effects are fun and the actors are too.  George Clooney, Hugh Laurie, and Britt Robertson are as good as it gets.

Also: My family is heading to Disney World in June. Tomorrowland is high on my list.  I expect that I can purchase one of those coins!  Sure any Movie based after a Theme park has its commercial aim, but it successfully captured me.

I give it ***1/2 stars. 2015 Movie #27

No comments: