Wednesday, February 4, 2015

It's Black or White or Both!



I am preparing for a class Sunday with College students dealing with stereotyping, race and Christianity.  A stout subject. So last night I went to see Kevin Costner's new movie "Black or White".   This movie did not sit well with critics because it was not shocking or different. What it is, is  "Life".

Back Story: Kevin's daughter had an affair with a black guy, became pregnant and died in childbirth.  Costner's character and his wife is raising the granddaughter with all the privilege of an affluent attorney in LA. As the movie opens His wife has died in a car wreck and The Grandpa is left to raise his black granddaughter.  The Father's family challenges for custody.  The story begins.

It has been called this generation's version of "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner?" a movie that I had planned to reference Sunday.  This story is very thought provoking and the lines get blurred.  Nothing is Black or White. Costner and Octavia Spencer perform at the highest level.

The best lines in the movie is Costner's response in court to "Are you prejudice  against blacks?"
He responds, "If you are asking me if the first thing I see when I see someone is whether they are black or white, I would say yes.  But it is the second or third things I see that matter.  It's like when I see a woman is big-breasted! I see that first but it is what I see after that that really counts!  Who are they? How are they?"

I like this movie especially the second half.  The opening was awkward but it picked up speed. I give the second half *** stars.  2015 movie #10

No comments: