Monday, September 15, 2014

Boyhood



When I first heard about "Boyhood", I knew it was a must-see.  I certainly did not know if it would be any good, but I am a fan of Richard Linklater films.  Just the thought of filming a movie over 12 years is wild for a documentary. This is fiction! How do you keep the cast together? What about accidents, illness or change of heart?  This is groundbreaking in the idea alone.

In reality It is a masterpiece.  I watched a family over a twelve year span. The boy in Boyhood goes from 6 years old to 18.  The movie is so real it is like eavesdropping.  The story is good and the theme: What is life about?  Why do we do this? Happiness?

I don't want to talk much about this other than to say:  For me it was must see.

I give it *****1/2 stars out of five.  I have seen better movies but not better told movies.

2014 movie 39

No comments: