Sunday, January 12, 2014

Two Movies so little time!

I have been having massive internet problems, so I will combine several posts.

We have seen two movies this weekend.  Both movies were wonderfully made and extremely hard to watch.

We first saw "August Osage County" which has many of my favorite actors.  Merle Streep was simply brilliant.  The story is set in our fair state, written by fellow Okie, Tracy Lett and filmed in familiar Oklahoma landscape.  Some of the subtle things in the movie would take an Okie to get it.  Little words and catch phrases that seem normal to me but will be lost on some from NYC.  The story is about the ultimate train-wreck of a family. Bitterness, Back-Stabbing, Drugs, Alcohol and profane conversations with no civility and that's just a description of lunch around the table.

I liked the movie, but will not recommend.  This is an acquired taste.  It is uncomfortable and uncomfortably good.  As someone has said, This is "Whose afraid of Virginia Wolf" for the 21st Century.  If you don't know that play, don't wonder in to this one.

I give it ***1/2 stars for excellent acting, story, etc.



The second movie is "Lone Survivor".  It is an excellent movie as well, but extremely tough to watch.  It is the true story of Navy Seal Team 10 in Afghanistan.  The story is heroic and emotional.
The main players is the forward scout team sent in to scope out a larger mission that will eliminate a high level Taliban leader.  All the actors do a great job in this story as well including Mark Wahlberg. It is also a profane movie but military profanity.  I can accept that because this calls for MACHO existence to survive.  If I told you that only one survives, I give nothing away (refer to title). The movie is based on the book by the lone survivor.  It does have a great and unexpected ending.  But the real ending is the end credits that is a presentation of the REAl men and their families who have lived this story.  My hat is off to the director who played great tribute.

If you are up to it, I recommend this movie.  As Carol said after the movie, this is why we like drones.  They needed some in this story.

I give the movie ****1/2 stars, the credits are *****.
2014 movies 2 and 3

No comments: