Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Road Less Traveled: a Minority Report on Happy, Happy, Happy

Just so you know up front, I may have watched 2 episodes of "Duck Dynasty" from beginning to end.  Every time my friends talk about how it is their favorite show, I try again to see what I'm missing and the answer (FOR ME) is NOTHING.  I can't take Si or the straining at old tag lines of the past and the trying to be normal with a camera crew and a producer saying:  "How about this episode, Si makes a mess in the warehouse?"



So when Phil Robertson's book came out, "Happy, Happy, Happy (The Legend of the Duck Commander)", I downloaded the audio and listened to it on a trip. Our Family Minister at church urged everyone to read it and said the last two chapters was worth it.  So, I did.  There are a couple of good chapters out of 12, mainly centering on his conversion to Jesus and about his ministry.

Other parts had differing effects on me:

1. He and I are the same age and grew up in the same way even though I lived in town.  We had chickens, and pigs. We put up both game hens, beef and chickens in the meat locker downtown.
My mother and grandmother caned in the summer and fall and our closed-in back porch was lined with Kerr and Mason Jars with jellies, green beans, spinach and mustard greens, etc.  He just lived at the river.  My friends were all big duck and dear hunters. I played sports. My six years in 120th Combat Engineers took the camping and gun toting right out of my system.

2.  The Duck Commander goes out of his way to attack or belittle people who aren't like him.  In his Redneck world, men who like computers, Facebook and cell phones are not "Manly Men" but Subdivision Yuppies.  He is Superior.

The strange thing is that even though he doesn't watch TV, have a cell phone or computer, he has a TV show, is all over social media and these things are why we even know about him!

3. He believes the Number One attribute in finding a mate is how well can she cook and can she handle preparing fish and plucking a duck.

4. His last chapter in the book is why as a Christian, he is a Republican.  He believes in Guns, not helping those on welfare, and fighting against those who would corrupt the Bill of Rights and the Constitution (because of the right to have guns.

You who know me know that I had a hard time getting through that.

Let me say at this point that I have known the Whites Ferry Road Church for 30 years.  When I attended Garnett Church in Tulsa, we had many speakers and elders from that church at the Workshop and as guests.  This was during the Bus Ministry days.  That church supported missionaries in Brazil that included some from our area.   They are a great group of Christians as are the Robertsons.

I like all. I just don't like all they are selling.

His 12 ways to be Happy, Happy, Happy are ok for some. or even many. just not me as I travel my paths.

Jesus could have cared less about what the Roman Government was doing or if it prevented them selves from taking up arms (swords).  Jesus did not chose fisherman because of their manly fishing skills, he wanted them to establish his church that was to reach out to those on "welfare" and families that had nothing.    Don't give that BUT MIKE the Bible says if a man doesn't work he shouldn't eat!
Yea but it doesn't say anything about his family should not be cared for, etc.

Jesus said:  Happy are the meek.
Jesus said: Happy are the merciful.
Jesus said: Happy are the pure in heart
Jesus said: Happy are the peacemakers.

Happy, Happy, Happy


I bring all this up because I was approached by a Fellow Christian who wanted our minister to wear a "Duck Dynasty" shirt in our corporate worship and point at the Men's photos and state that we should try to emulate them?

I thought that we were to emulate Jesus?

There is much good in Duck Dynasty but much more in the Kingdom of GOD


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just an fyi: I don't believe Phil thinks himself to superior when he talks of yuppies and such. It's what people call JOKES.