Monday, November 12, 2012

I just don't get it and I don't want to!

By now you know most of my prejudices.  There are people who can get under my skin very easy and I am weak enough to let them. 

Example:  Some of my friends and fellow Christians on FACEBOOK keep "Liking" and sharing the idea that people on "Welfare" should be drug tested before they get help.  I see immediately what they don't like (people on drugs), but when I hear them talk they are so derisive in the substance that it appears that the net that they cast as to who gets help is rather large.  I asked, what about their children? How are they being fed, etc. ?   They say, "Let their family take care of them.  Not me?"

Example:  A group to which I belong  buys presents (By angel tree)  for kids in the community at Christmas. In a discussion some stated that they resent buying presents for those kids when their parents "probably smoke and drink" and waste money.  "Let their family take care of them.  Not me?"

I guess only the poor waste money.

I try to tell them that we have a responsibility to help.  Some of these families came from Mexico where there was no work, and are trying to build a new life.   You know what comes next........

I'm trying to remember what a follower of Jesus would do, but then it's said, "Its Obama's fault!."
And they laugh.

I try to run from this but I can't.   Republican Christians and Democratic Christians!  NO SUCH THING.   We either follow Jesus or we don't.   If federal/state assistance vanished and it may.  If food stamps vanish.  

Will Christians pick up the slack?

WILL I PICK UP THE SLACK?





No comments: