Thursday, August 25, 2011

Another Earth, Another You?




I'm loose in America or at least OKC! So when left to myself, I do something very different (Not).
I went to a movie! The rule is when I am by myself, I go to movies that Carol would not like, or if I see one that she would like, we go back later and I'll see it again. I WILL BE GOING BACK.

I went to see an independent film, "Another Earth". This movie doesn't have super stars, or 3D, or such. What it has is a super star story that is thought provoking and haunting that will grab your heart and your mind.

Since I have spent recent weeks thinking about my past mistakes, I guess someone decided to make me a movie.

I will say right now the following note: The movie deals with an incident where a drunk driver kills most of a family and the resulting aftermath. The beginning is tough. BUT the movie is about redemption, forgiveness, and not giving up on yourself or life. It is not a spiritual story but you will bring that in yourself.

Why is it called another earth?

When the movie begins, you meet Rhoda who has just been accepted to M.I.T. and she has dreamed of space since childhood. Two big events happen in one day. First is that a mirror image of the Earth and the Moon appears in the sky. Second is that Rhoda goes out to celebrate and gets drunk. On her way home that night she is looking out the car window at "Earth 2" and hits another car head-on. The Car is carrying a college music professor, his pregnant wife and their son.

The movie begins 4 years later after as Rhoda gets out of prison. Earth 2 has been contacted and it appears that it is inhabited with "us"! Our clones, our parallel selves are there.

Then the story begins. You will have to see it. Based on my experiences this is a very well done portrayal of lose, and on reliving bad experiences. If that was all there was to it, it would be a well done dreadful story. But it actually takes your heart and mind on an emotional roller coaster. There are very few main characters, and very few locations. Every outdoor scene shows Earth 2 in the sky and that idea is woven into the other story in a profound way.

Would you go visit the other you if you could? What if it might change things?

Science Fiction, Yes

Realism, Yes

Surprise Ending, Yes

Good Movie for thinkers, Yes

I give this movie ****stars

2011 Movie # 42

No comments: