Friday, May 20, 2016

10 cent pies



When I was about 8 years old, My Mother sent me to the store (on my bike) to get the next day's needs. Normally it be a loaf of bread (Holsum), maybe a half gallon of milk (Meadow Gold) and then something specific. Sometimes she would say. "Get 5- 10 cent pies."

My dad took his lunch to work, everyday for 35 years. He would have a thermos of coffee, two sandwiches, a fried pie and occasionally a cookie.  FOR 35 YEARS!

Since I was the pie man, I gave him a variety (apple, cherry, peach) but every now and then I strayed and got Hostess Cup cakes or an apricot pie. He let me know if I got something weird.

I say all this because lately I have craved these convenience store delights. Of course they no longer cost ten cents. They are about 60% as big as the pies of my past and the cost varies by the store.  At a Food store they may cost 79 cents. At a convenience store they vary from $1.69 to $1.89!

But time flies:  A nickel Candy Bar is now $2.00.  Gas was 30 cents a gallon then.  That Holsum Bread was 19 cents a loaf.

You may be asking how an eight year old could buy groceries?  WE bought on store credit.  They kept a small invoice book for each family. When my Mother came in on Saturday (after pay day) to but the week's supply, she paid the tab and started again.

No comments: