Thursday, August 20, 2015

Giving Blood


Our church sponsored a Red Cross Blood Drive last night and I gave a pint or two.

It reminded me again of the first time I ever gave blood. I was a college kid home for the summer at a time when the Arkansas River was flooding. A friend, Chris, and I drove out to see the water over the highway between Haskell and Porter and was just leaning against my car. Chris's Dad pulled up and said that he had been looking for us. He said he had a friend in the VA Hospital who needed blood and wanted us to give it.  We hoped in the car and drove to Muskogee. I finished giving blood before Chris and the Nurse gave me some grape juice to drink. I took the glass and said to Chris: "I guess they took too much blood and want me to drink some of it." He stared at me a minute and passed out!

People have told me since that I was crazy for giving blood on that day, June 1, 1968. I gave blood about 1:30 pm and that night at 7:00pm was our wedding. Chris was the best man.

No comments: