Sunday, April 19, 2015

Woman in Gold


The more stories that I read or view concerning the Holocaust and European Jewish life in World War 2, I am more bewildered by the extent of "Man's inhumanity to man".  This term I learned in high school as one of the few basic themes to any story."The Woman in Gold" is the latest to bother me.

For some reason the previews did not lead me to thank this is a true story, but half way through the movie I was hearing names of people known to me in the U.S. government. Suddenly it slammed me: "This is a true story."  The end credits of the film verified my theory.

It is the story of a woman that grew up in Vienna who sought to reclaim a family treasure stolen by the Nazis.  It was a famous painting that was on display 60 years later in a Vienna Museum and the property of the Austrian Government.  I tells of her fight that takes her to both Austrian and U,S, courts.  It is a wonderfully told story that stars Hellen Mirren and Ryan Reynolds.  This is a much better tale of taking on the evil empire than any Super Hero story. AND This actually happened.

I give it **** stars.  2015 movie 21

No comments: