Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Get On Up!


My teen and college years were filled with James Brown Music in the soundtrack
.  The sixties brought "soul music and Sam& Dave, the Temptations, Martha and the Vandallas, and Stevie Wonder were every where but James Brown was totally different. He brought the FUNK and made it hard on a little white guy from a small town because I didn't know what FUNK was.  The word sounded nasty and so did the music. Bur one thing was true: I could not set still. Not that I had any moves but as the movie states when JB is asked what kind of music do you do and he answers: Jame Brown Music.  Just listen to "Poppa's Got a Brand New Bag" and you know what I'm saying.

Everyone copied him.  Without James Brown, Michael Jackson would not have had the "moon walk" and Mick Jagger wouldn't have had an act!

The movie was a treat.  The actor who plays him, Chadwick Boseman, is superb.  He was great as Jackie Robinson last year in 42 and even better as James Brown.  I didn't have many memories about Jackie R, but I grew up with James Brown.  Mr Boseman nails Mr. Brown.  Someone is going to have to award him something for this.

This bio is like that of the Johnny Cash story because you get warts and all.  he was hard on those close to him and would be impossible to work for.  he was one of those "self-made men".  He believed that he raised himself and made his own way against the grain. While he was an innovator and did many firsts in the Music business.  He had help. He was just very slow to admit it.

Great Movie if you like great entertainment and good music.  I liked it because it was part of my early history.

I give it ****stars. 2014 Movie 34

No comments: