Tuesday, February 12, 2013

getting a report card



I remember as a kid that I was never concerned about my letter grades in school (since I was a fairly good student never getting below a C until college. But in elementary (grade school) they had that list of items where the teacher would check off on items like:  works well with others, shows potential, whispers too much, inattentive, etc.  Those could cause MUCH conversation when I got home.  It is interesting that all A's would bring a small at-a-boy but a whispers too too much would bring a stern lecture.   Report Cards by their nature causes us to focus on the bad instead of the exceptional.

I say all that to say I just received a report card from my church.  Being in the leadership, the Church elders are re-affirmed every three years. A questionnaire is made available to the members and they rate us on a scale of 1 to 10 on a series of questions. Then on a separate ballot they vote yes or no on continuing in leadership. The questionaire has to be signed but the ballot is not.  We have to get an 85% positive to continue.  This is my third time to go through this process.

I tried this time around to be available for anyone who wants to talk to me about anything. It was announced that one Sunday after church I would talk to anyone.  One person came and asked one question, "What can you do for me as an Elder?"  We had a great conversation.  The people who don't like me did not attend.

This time I was approved by 98.5%.  But as I have been trained since my youth I was concerned about the questionnaire results.  For the record only one person who voted no filled out and signed a questionnaire.  He rated me as a 1 or 2 in every category.  Yikes!  He has no use for me. I had several blank questionnaires that represent votes without comment.

Last time I went through this, my lowest marks was on "Am I approachable?"

This time a got many 10's on that question but the same question was my lowest score again.  The new issue that arose is that some think I am not relational with others.  Here is where it gets hard.  Many, many written comments say that they relate to me because of my teaching and say that the things I bring up are right where they are.  But while they relate to me, some say that I don't relate to them by being in their lives.

This gives me food for growth, because two or three explained their reasoning in a clear manner.

It shows one of my many flaws:  Despite what many think, I am actually introverted. 

1 comment:

HippieGirl said...

I always hated report cards and progress reports. Because in my high school, we had to get them signed by a parent. Which always sucked for me, considering the only bd grade I ever had was in Match, it was always a 69%, an F. That has got to be the one subject i think I've repeated more times in high school than any other subject. God, report cards/progress reports suck! My parents would always rip me a new one about it!