Sunday, January 6, 2013

Promised Land the Movie



If you are a fellow Okie and saw the preview to "Promised Land", like me you were thinking: "Should I see this movie?  It looks like it may be taking on the state's cash cow, natural gas."  Is it going to be another tree hugger Hollywood hatchet job?  Answer: NO

When I was a kid, the first westerns were "cowboy and indian" movies. White men taming the west and pushing Native Americans aside (to be tame).  Later the movies switched to the Cattlemen versus the farmer who wanted to fence the land.  Every so many years the story has changed, but the overall theme is:  I want what you have and I'm bigger and more powerful than you. Oh, and I will pay you off.

This movie deals with Fracking and the large company coming to a community to buy leases to drill from farm people who really, really need the money.  It has a great cast.  From Matt Damon and Frances McDormand to Hal Holbrook and John Krasinski (Office).

It is a rare movie that can show a small town farming community with any degree of realism  and this works.  I will say that there is a major twist in this movie.  If you think this is Corporation versus the environment, it is much, much more.  Any of us who have worked for a major business or company has dealt with what is going on. Simple question:  Do you know what is taking place? or have you been hoodwinked?

This was a pleasant surprise. R for profanity.

I give it ***stars.  2013 Movie #2

No comments: