Tuesday, May 1, 2012

the phone store and car lot

My 1-1/2 year old phone would no longer hold a charge!  I go to the phone store and the salesman says that I could get a new battery at the Apple Store for $79 dollars or a new phone for $99. He then says that there is nothing he can do. I did not like his answer so I headed to the Apple Store.

At the Apple Store the staff guy says, "We don't put batteries in iPhones?  That would cost much more than a new phone.  But lets look at your phone to see what is causing the drain."  He checked the phone and says, "WoW, you have about 85 apps!" He said he on;y had 60 apps.  Then he asks if I ever turn my apps off.  I don't know what he meant?  He double taps the big button on my phone and shows that all my apps have been "ON" since I bought the phone!  And draining my battery.  He then showed how to turn off the apps daily and save the charge.  I decide to turn them off, recharge and see if I'm ok.

On the way home, I realize that I had to get a new iPhone 3 because of the battery and now the I4!  I had never "closed" an app!   The recharge did not work!

So, back to AT&T to buy a phone.  This morning there are 4 staff people and 2 customers.  The sales person meets me and tells me that I have to sign in on the touch screen and wait till my name is called.

I sign in and take a step back and someone calls my name!  I tell the guy what I need and he checks my phone.  He says that I qualify for a new phone. Surprise!  He says, "Do you want to upgrade to a 4S for $199,00?"

"No, I don't need the new features.  Just a 4" for $99,"

He looks at my account and my old phone and says, "Mr Martin, your old phone is 16gig and you have over 8 gigs on it.  We know longer offer the 4 with that many gigs. Only the 4S has 16 gigs! The I4 only comes with 8.

I give him a look. Okay then 4S

"Do you want the service plan?  Two years for $99.  If you had a plan now you would get a new phone at no charge."

I think: Fat chance with that. They no longer make my 16gig phone.

I call Carol and she reminds me that my only trouble with phones is the charge and I  now know how to save the phone. I turn down the plan.  He argues  and I frown. He then says, "I'm really not trying to act like a car salesman.'  I thought: Wow, he reads people we;;!

I say that I want a screen protector put on and he wheels me away from the standard sheets and says that they will only put on the $25 one.  

Then he tries to sell me on a new case, even though my current one fits fine.

I say, "Let's check out."

As he is totaling up he actually says, "I know you don't want the service plan, but you can insure your phone and that will ONLY add $9.00 a month to your bill."

I ask, "How does this differ from the service plan?"

He says only the cost. (which would be $108.00 a year  OR $216.00 for 2 years instead of $99 for 2 years!

I was waiting for him to say, "Let me check with the sales manager and see if we can deal!"
   

No comments: