Sunday, April 13, 2008

What keeps me from being vain.

Over 20 years ago Gary Sparks (a former business partner) and I was at a conference in Kansas City. During a break every one was in the lounge area of the hall and I was standing there looking awkward (which was normal). I noticed that a very attractive woman across the room was staring at me! She then starts walking across the room and right to to me. She smiles and says "Has anyone ever told you that you look like Ed Asner?"

Well no. I had never thought of that. It was a weird moment.

Since that day many years ago when I still had hair, I am asked that question about twice a month! A total stranger will speak to me whether in Tulsa, Fort Worth, Orlando, or Nashville.
The ultimate came when at a recent dinner with some of my classmates from Haskell High School Class of 65, one of my classmates asked that question!

The crazy thing is that people enjoy asking and are disappointed when they find out that they were not the first to this revelation! Imagine my joy!

I have even downloaded an old Mary Tyler Moore show on my IPOD to check Ed out. I just don'y see it. Maybe our eyes are similar, but I didn't think I was THAT grouchy looking!

But Ed Asner is no Paul Newman and shows no rooms for vanity.

I wonder if anyone asks Ed about me? Now that's vanity!

No comments: