Tuesday, April 15, 2008

An architect goes to church: Doing Good

It seems ironic that I have spent my whole life "going to church" and have learned many passages of the Bible, argued endlessly on many issues and beliefs and have still missed the point! I recently heard 3 lessons from Rick Atchley on the subject, "The church has left the building". It was not new ground in that all the scriptures used were familiar and I have studied them endless times. The difference was in the application. It was a good example of why Christians are divided even though we use the same Bible. If you are taught to put the emphasis on one word ahead of another, you can change or water down the point at hand.

Hence Matthew 5:16 "In the same way let your light shine before men that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in Heaven."

Hebrews 10:24 "And let us consider how we can spur one another toward love and good deeds."

1 Timothy 6:18 "Command them to do good, to be rich in good deeds."

Titus 2:6-7 "Similarly, encourage the young men to self-controlled. In everything set them an example by doing what is good......"

I could go on and on. In Matthew I was taught to be light. In Hebrews I was taught to get along with my brother in love. In Timothy 6, we spent our time talking about money being the root of all evil and how hard it is for "those who are rich" (not us!). In Titus I was taught that the young men should practice self control.

The Church is not impacting the world, our cities, and our neighborhoods because people like me have been reading the easy parts of the verses. The world that we are to light up does not worry about whether the music coming out of Kid's praise during our worship is too loud. They don't even care about our worship! People in need aren't waiting for us to decide what time worship will start. People in need are not waiting for a "stand" on instrumental music, women's involvement, divorce, or prayer in schools. People in need are waiting for you and I to DO GOOD.

1 comment:

David Hall said...

Thanks so much Mike. Very well said. Keep up the blogging...but easy on the toes!