Sunday, September 12, 2010

mike finally wins one!

I took my Mother (she's 90) to the doctor this week and we had time to talk about a wide range of topics. She told me that a group had made a presentation to her church about providing a safe home for women and children in their area. She asked, "Do you think that we should spend the Lord's money on something like that? Why doesn't the Government handle that?" Sensing a trap I responded, "Well, if you are a Republican (she is) you would say like Senator Coburn that the government can't be responsible for everything and this would be the church's area. If you are a Democrat you would say the government could handle it." She responds, "Well, I guess I'm a Democrat then! I think the Lord's money should go toward spreading the Gospel only." I said, "What about Matthew 25 where Jesus says, "I was hungry, sick or in prison, or a stranger and you didn't help me." (paraphrased) I think he intended that we help." She thought for a minute and said, "Well, I'm changing my mind. I think you are right."

That my friends was a RARE win in her ongoing task to turn me from my erring ways.

No comments: