Thursday, December 23, 2010

Bad Decembers

This is not the worst December in my life but it is close. Of course the worst was the death our our daughter in 1979 just before Thanksgiving. Next would be 1985. My father had recently died, My partners stiffed me and I resigned from the firm I was in, only to be followed by Foreclosers, Bankruptcy, etc.

So this year comes in third. Because of an abrupt and costly happenings, our business took a bad turn. We have had to make many changes and get smaller fast.

Failing Bond Issues and a client that reneged on a promise, slashed our work load. In the last two days I have been to tell three staff members that they are loosing their jobs. I have let several people go over the years, but not like this. Layoffs usually allow firms to weed out the weaker staff members. This time such was not possible. I had to tell very accomplished, talented people that their job was gone and just before Christmas.

There are two rules that I was taught in Business:

1. Never hire anyone that you are not willing to let go.
2. If it ever gets easy to end some one's employment, you are no longer qualified to it.

This was hard. I feel so emotional about such things that I can't get through such meetings without crying. It may show my weakness as a business person but I can't help it.
When I hire someone, I am not just getting an employee, I am accepting responsibility for their families. It hurts when I can't make good.

Each of these individuals are so talented, that I expect them to come out much better with others. But for now I am blessed to have worked with them.

I am old enough to know that none of us know what is ahead our journey, but as I travel this less traveled road, I have everything a person needs: A Father, SON and Spirit that leads me and loves me in spite of myself, a loving and unbelievably great family and the optimism of a great life ahead. The exact same things that got me through the other bad Decembers.

No comments: