Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Weird Books from my past


I was at my Mother's house today and she gave me a book that she found in a box. It was one of my children's books from the 1950's (that is now looked on with disdain). She handed the book to me and said with a wry grin, "You will want to read this to your grand kids!" LITTLE BLACK SAMBO!

The story is stupid and silly. The story is also not controversial. What was bad was the title and the way the original additions were illustrated. Of course, the title was used as a racial slur to blacks. While the book had no impact on my life, I did as a child hear many black people referred to as "little black samba's in a way that merely replaced the N-word.

I went into BING to get an image of the book, but BING (for the first time I can remember would instantly change the search to "Little Black Samba".

I need to see if it is worth something on EBay, because it is worth nothing to me!

No comments: