Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Well Worn Words: Go Along to Get Along!

"Go along to get along" is a neat saying. Too bad it left the building about the same time as Common Sense. In the past this statement seemed like a cop out to me, but now I miss it. Seems like no one cares any longer about getting along. Instead, everyone only wants to "Get their way!"

We offend each other at the slightest incident. We think winning is accomplished when the other side is destroyed. We "Know" that our way is THE way so why compromise. I see it in every facet of life: Politics, Church, Organizations, Education and Family.

My oldest Brother died Tuesday night. He had terminal cancer, but he took a sudden bad turn and died quickly. My other brother flew in from out of state and was here when he died. He went to stay with our Mother who is 92. Sounds normal so far.

WELL: I am exhausted. I have spent the most of today as a referee. You see I was born into a headstrong family (actually "HardHeaded fits best!) Yes, I even except blame and guilt for that gene, but next to my Mother and out-of-town brother, I'm a slacker!

They started fighting as soon as he arrived. They are apart now. I felt like a mediator going from one to the other listening to versions of the same incidents. They tell essentially the same stories, but vary greatly on who started it and who was the bad guy.

I needed a whip and a cattle prod. They agreed on one thing: The other was totally wrong, mean-spirited and unworthy.

I listened to them and then started quoting my Paul Thorn song: "I don't like half the people I love" . "They've all got good qualities, but the bad ones keep covering them up!"

They could not understand why I wouldn't take sides. Especially, my brother! He thought that since I got along good with my Mother, that I must be against him! I told him that my job was to love them both! I told him that I put up with many things in life that I'm not comfortable with BUT so what? Everybody knows where I stand on just about everything. My job is not to make everyone like my point of view,BUT toleration goes along way.

My Mother plays the religion card so I just asked her: "What there was in her actions did she learn from Jesus!"

It is like spraying a garden hose!

No its not fixed but three hours later some civility popped up. I have my hands full.

By the way, did I mention that my oldest brother died?

No comments: