Saturday, September 25, 2010

Sequels: Wall Street revisited




I have been looking forward to the sequel of "Wall Street" since it was announced. The critics are divided and they are are saying the craziest statement: "It's not as good as the first!" Except for "Godfather II" tell me a movie that is?" A review in the Tulsa paper gave it 1-1/2 stars! So what to expect?

Well we went to see for ourselves. After my last venture I was glad to not hear the F word every other breath and from a story (the Wall Street meltdown of 08!) that almost seemed appropriate! I liked this film. The Camera work was superb as with all Oliver Stone films and the acting was great as well. The selection of Shea LaBeouf was good because he makes a great "Weasel"
The story is still about GREED and its effects. It does a good job of explaining why we are in our current mess and shows why we had to bail out Wall Street even though we didn't want to.

Gordon Gekko writes a book while in prison and gets out just before the crash happens. During a speech he gives one of the many good quotes, "Someone reminded me that I once said Greed is good. Well now it is apparently legal." Th movie also ties up some loose ends from the first edition and Charlie Sheen's character even makes a cameo.

This is a good moral tale. I give this movie ***stars.

2010 Movie #42.


The other great quote was: "I'll make a deal with you. You quit spreading lies about me and I'll quit telling the truth about you." I could have used that about two months ago!

No comments: